Tyler's Thoughts February 18th 2020



This past Sunday I was at a funeral for a former student at a church I served at as Pastoral Intern. This student had committed suicide.

In the past 2 and-a-half years I have been to 4 different schools as a grief counselor because one of their students had committed suicide.  Just over a month ago I was messaging a student who was chatting with a friend who was contemplating suicide.

 It seems that the number of suicides is only increasing and is becoming more and more prevalent.

I don't want to appear as if I am detracting from the pain they were walking through nor do I want to act as if I entirely understand what they were experiencing.

The purpose of this blog is to share my thoughts so I guess I will do just that.

In a moment of transparency and with the hope of pointing others to Jesus, I admit that I too struggle with anxiety from time-to-time and have had brief bouts of depression like I'm sure many of us do, or have at some point.

Mine is by no means extreme. It comes and goes. It comes on suddenly and sometimes leaves just as sudden. Sometimes it comes when everything is going great and there is really no reason to be depressed or anxious. Sometimes it comes when you would expect it, when you are maxed out mentally, physically and spiritually.

I want to tell you that you aren't a bad Christian just because you struggle with anxiety or depression.
You aren't weak. You aren't weird. But let me tell you something, you are lied to...


Let me explain and understand that I am coming at this from my personal experience with Anxiety/Depression so it could be vastly different from yours.

There are times when I felt worthless, that I am not enough, that I am a loser, a failure, second-best, or if everyone saw me through the lens that I see myself they would hate me...

Christian listen and read this carefully:

You aren't who others say that you are, you aren't even who you say you are. You are who God says you are.

God alone is the author of truth. So what does God say about you?

He says that You are His Child. You are His friend. You have been justified. You are united with Christ. You are His. You are a member of His body. You are redeemed. You are forgiven. You are complete in Christ.  You are free from condemnation. You are his workmanship. You are God's temple. You are His witness. You are the salt. You are light. You are a citizen of Heaven. You cannot be separated from God's love.

Listen, there are many, many more things that God has to say about you, so get in His Word and listen. Soak in its truths.

The enemy will tell you lies and he will constantly shout them in your ear. His goal is to steal, kill and destroy. His attempts are to do just that and he will do everything he can to accomplish this, including lie to you as to who you are.

The very first sin was when Eve ate of the fruit in the garden of Eden. Satan caused Eve to doubt what God had said and it was then that she slipped into darkness.

The enemy is in the same lying business today. Don't be surprised when he will tell you that you are worthless, second-best, a loser etc... but remember, he is a liar. You aren't who you say you are, you aren't who others say you are, you are who God says you are.

The next time you find yourself slipping into darkness remember who GOD says you are. Pray, open God's Word, confide in a friend and get help.

If you think you need to talk, I am always here. If you have suicidal thoughts please reach out.

Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255.






Comments

Popular Posts